The Florida Keys are a unique, tropical paradise that is renowned for its stunning turquoise water and vibrant culture. It's a great place to visit no matter what kind of vacation you're looking for, but it's especially nice when you have kids in tow! The Florida Keys are made up of 150 isles but the main 5 islands that make up the majority of the chain are Key Largo, Marathon, Islamorada, Big Pine Key and Key West.
Here are 24 things to do when exploring Key West with family:
Visit the Southernmost Point landmark
Location: At the corner of Whitehead St & South St in Key West
- This touristy spot can get busy, we got there about 9AM and it took about 10 minutes of waiting in line to get a photo.
- This landmark notes the southernmost point in the continental United States, which is 18 feet above sea level.
Enjoy Nelson English Park
Location: 300 Catherine Street in Key West
- Small parking lot open to the public and free
- Picnic Tables + play equipment
- Within walking distance to Southernmost Point
Explore Key West on a Trolley Tour
- Take your family on a trolley tour around town to get acquainted with all that Key West has to offer. Along the way, you and your family will learn about local history, culture, and more - plus, you'll get some great photo ops too!
- The price for each Key West Trolley Tour varies depending on length and age of each family member
Eat Doughnuts at Glazed
Location: 420 Eaton St, Key West
- Made from scratch fritter-style and cake doughnuts
- Southernmost donut shop in continental U.S.
Spend the day at Fort Zachary State Park
Location: 601 Howard England Way in Key West
- Entrance fee to access the beach and fort. You can also walk or ride your bike into the state park.
- It is the southernmost state park in the continental US with beautiful, clear waters.
- There are bathrooms, benches, picnic tables along the beach area
- Concessions and you can rent/reserve chairs with umbrellas at the shop.
- This beach is known as Rocky beach by the locals, there isn't a lot great sand by the water but the kids still played there.
- The beach gets very busy as the day goes on.
- There were a lot of people snorkeling and boats coming and going to watch.
Have fun at Truman Waterfront Splash pad and park
Location: Southard St, near Fort Zachary State park in Key West
- Located in the Truman Annex at Southwest end of Southard street.
- Locals told us that Coast Guard boats can dock here, however there were none when we were there.
- You can walk around the dock.
- Paid parking or you can walk/ride bike into the park.
Visit Mallory Square
Location: 420 Wall Street, Key West
- This plaza located in Key West historic Old Town.
- Each evening they have a sunset celebration at night, it gets very busy.
- During the daytime, you can walk around and there are various arts and crafts vendors.
- Great place to watch street performers.
- Can take the Conch Train Tours here.
Take a stroll down Duvall Street
Location: Key West
- It's a busy street with shops, bars and restaurants.
- We walked along Duvall Street multiple times during in the morning and into the early afternoon. From talking to others, the street gets very busy and lively during the later afternoon and evening.
Grab some coffee and snap a photo at Cuban Coffee Queen
Location: 284 Margaret St, Key West
- There are multiple locations for this coffee shop but if you are looking for a human-sized postcard with 'Greetings from Key West' definitely snag some amazing coffee and snap a photo
Snap a photo at US1 -Mile Marker 0
Location: 501 Whitehead St in Key West
- Photo opportunity along the side of the road.
Visit Dry Tortugas National Park
Location: in the Gulf of Mexico, 68 miles West of Key West
Learn and explore at Key West Aquarium
Location: 1 Whitehead St in Key West
- This is a great spot for families that combines both fun and learning
- One of Florida's oldest aquariums
Visit the Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory
Location: 1316 Duval Street in Key West
- Small conservatory where you can watch an awesome variety and varies sizes of live butterflies
- Great experience for kids in Key West
- 'Wings of Imagination' art gallery was beautiful to explore
- Learning Center is great learning opportunity for kids
Relax at Key West Garden Club
Location: 1100 Atlantic Blvd in Key West
- Free attraction that is great for the family in Key West
- Great spot for a relaxing day outside in the colorful garden space
- Set on the site of a Civil War fort
Have some fun at Sheriff's Animal Farm
Location:5501 College Road in Key West
- Free activity to do with kids in Key West
- This is a petting zoo/animal Farm that houses over 150 exotic farm animals
- Open limited days a month
- Great spot for family to make friends with animals
Learn some history at Shipwreck Treasure Museum
Location: 1 Whitehead St in Key West
- Combination of actors, films and artifacts to tell stories of the 400 shipwrecks the Keys have seen
- 15 minute live storytelling presentation
- 65 foot lookout tower to catch amazing views of the island and waters around
Dig your toes in the sand at South Beach
Location: End of Duval Street
- One of the smallest public beaches in Key West with 200 square feet
- Near Southernmost Cafe
- Dock to walk on and beaches
Enjoy some food at Southernmost Beach Café
Location: 1405 Duval St in Key West
- Kid friendly restaurant
- South beach is outside of restaurant that is next to the water
Enjoy all things Key Lime at The Original Key Lime Pie Bakery
Location: 412 Greene St in Key West
- Visit the birthplace of Key Lime Pie in 1856
- This shop has every kind of food possible that is Key Lime flavored!
- Must try: chocolate covered Key Lime Pie on a stick, Key lime taffy, Key Lime suckers and Key Lime ice cream
- Educational opportunity for the kids as you can watch the pies being made!
- Shop also has souvenirs and various shopping items
Eat a giant pretzel at First Flight Brewery
Location: 301 Whitehead Street in Key West
Family friendly restaurant
- The building is the birthplace of Pan American World Airways.
- Pan-Am’s first tickets were sold out of this very building in 1927
- The have local beers and the food was delicious, kids loved the giant pretzel
- The courtyard where we ate is canopy-covered by palm trees.
Learn at Key West Lighthouse
Location: 938 Whitehead St in Key West
- Educational opportunity for the entire family to learn the history of the lighthouse in Key West
- You can walk up the 88 steps to the top of the light as well as explore a belongings, photographs and words of the lighthouse Keepers
Enjoy a family meal together at Thai Island
Location: 711 Eisenhower Dr in Key West
- The restaurant is located in the upper part of the building in a marina area.
- Manatees in the water
- Watched local charters go in and out as we sat on the outside deck eating
Visit the historic The Hemingway Home and Museum
Location: 907 Whitehead St in Key West
- Museum that is open day
- Tour of the home of Ernest Hemingway
Enjoy the sand and water together at Smathers Beach
Location: 2601 S Roosevelt Blvd in Key West
- Largest beach in Key West
- Free to public
- Bathrooms and Parking near
- Vendors for chairs and umbrellas
These are just some of the kid friendly activities for families to enjoy in Key West, Florida. From family restaurants and museums to beaches and attractions, there is something for everyone in the family.
More on the Keys